Fish are awesome. And no, I don’t just mean for food. I meant as pets. In the UK and the US both, they’re the third most popular pets, just coming after dogs and cats. In fact, there’s a type of fish that could go with any kind of budget.
Now I have allergies and can’t really have any of the furry, four-legged pets in the house so I decided to get myself an aquarium instead. I have some nice free space and decided to fill it with a 29 gallon aquarium. What I ended up buying was the Coralife BioCube 29 gallon aquarium.
Coralife BioCube 29 Gallon Aquarium Details
- Dimension: 20 x 20.8 x 18.8 inches.
- Weight: 53.1 pounds.
- Item model number: 15607.
Coralife BioCube 29 Gallon Aquarium Features
- All-in-one system with tank, light filter, filter pump.
- Power compact.
- LED light bar.
- Integrated wet or dry biological filtration.
- 4-button control and separate power cords for daylight, actinic and LEDs.
- Modular LEDs.
- New hinge-top canopy design.
- Upgraded cooling system.
- 265 GPH pump flow rate.
Package comes with lights: 1 x 36 watt True Actinic 03 Blue, 1 x 36 watt 10,000k Daylight, 1 x 0.75 watt Lunar Blue LED Bar.
The package does not come with any additional accessories but the following can be bought as extras:
- Coralife BioCube Replacement Filter Cartridge, 2pk – $7.99.
- Coralife 29 Gallon BioCube Aquarium Stand – $144.99.
- Coralife BioCube Protein Skimmer – $30.99.
- Additional Lunar LED Bars.
Apparently, the Coralife family absorbed the Oceanic BioCube aquarium lines and together, they gave birth to the Coralife BioCube. And this merger of sorts actually brought about a few nice enhancements. These include:
- 4-button controls and separate power cords – this makes for easier set-up of the lights for daylight and other options.
- Hinge-top canopy design – the lack of which was a common complaint against the Oceanic BioCube of the same size.
- Upgraded cooling system.
- Quiet submersible pump – resulted to improved water circulation and filter performance.
- Clear glass back panel for easier addition of accessories.
- Ability to add more modular LEDs.
Of course, the new design remains compatible with all existing accessories for the BioCube line.
Experienced hobbyists will be happy to know that this 29 gallon aquarium has 3 rear chambers that are really designed very well and limits water evaporation. The second rear chamber, the largest of the three, is a great refugium. But even noobs like I was before will be glad to see that there are no issues with the pumps that came with the package.
This set up is quiet and cooling fans aren’t noisy. Setting up and operating the whole thing is also very simple.
One complaint I do have is how the lighting system tends to run hot, even with the cooling fans. I found it a bit of a challenge to install additional fans and was actually worried when summer rolled around. I did get that sorted out by getting a retro LED kit as suggested by one of my more experienced friends.
- New and improved.
- Hinge-top canopy.
- Better cooling system.
- Improved water circulation.
- Better filter performance.
- 3 upgradeable LED bar slots.
- Easy to add accessories.
- Lighting system can go hot despite the cooling fans.