Having a healthy environment in your tank is highly dependent on the pH level of your aquarium. While one day you would be reveling in the way your fishes swim about enthusiastically, the decreasing pH levels could easily make them lanky and weak the very next day. pH levels tend to decrease with time due to a few natural biological changes that might be beyond your control. Unconsumed fish food or decaying organic matter could be a couple of reasons so you would constantly need to keep a check on the pH level of your aquarium.
Resorting to chemical treatments might seem easy but in reality they may increase the levels too rapidly and drastically change the environment within leading to further troubles. There are a few natural ways instead, of raising the level that we have discussed below:
1. Crushed Corals – Increase The pH Levels Effectively
Shells and coral skeletons usually contain very high amount of Calcium Carbonate in them. Adding these, gradually improves the pH levels of water inside the tank. You can dip a couple of small bags of crushed corals inside the tank or in the filter and add or remove them as per the need.
- Easily available – Crushed corals are easily available in stores near you.
- Easy to use – They are very handy and so easy to use and store.
- Inexpensive – They are very light on your pockets too.
- Effect is gradual – Though it is a very good option to increase the aquarium pH, the result happens gradually and may take more time than other methods but the effectiveness of this substance is so high that we really have to overlook this drawback.
2. Dolomite Chips – Beautiful Way to Increase the pH Levels too
Those different colored gravels shining in the aquarium tank are dolomite stones. They not only add to the beauty of the little seabed, but also efficiently hike the low pH levels of the liquid.
As they are very rich in magnesium and calcium, adding them changes the alkalinity of the water and thus the pH level is increased. They can be added to the filter of the tank after powdering them.
- Easy to get – Dolomite stones are available in any store selling fish tanks and related products.
- Ease of use – They can be deposited in the filters. The process is easy and less time consuming.
- Filter cleaning – The filter cleaning can be a bit difficult as it may be full of the chippings or small stones. Nowadays a lot of gravel cleaners are available that can clean them and also suck out the dirt.
3. Lime Stones – Very Good Natural pH Level Hikers
They are a very good solution for lower pH level in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums. They are very rich in calcium carbonate. They are abundantly available in construction stores as they as used for construction and landscaping. They not only adjust the pH levels, but also beautify decorate the tank with their cave like structures.
- Provides beauty and utility – Structures made using lime stones increase the pH level of the water and add to the aquarium’s beauty.
- Cheap – They are inexpensive and natural solutions for the low pH levels of the aquarium.
- Easily available – Any construction store will sell this substance.
- Over use can raise the pH levels drastically. Always make sure that you don’t over use calcium stones. This can increase the pH to very high levels.
4. Macroalgae – Wonder Algae
Macroalgae makes your aquarium look like a real seabed. They make water dissolved oxygen and absorb the carbon dioxide. They also “wage war” against the useless algae in the water. The tank water turns healthy for the water organisms.
- Cheapest and least tedious – They are one of the cheapest options available. Also, they are very simple to grow.
- Easy to maintain – They are extremely easy to maintain.
- Provides food and minerals – These algae are an excellent source of food for our lovely little water species. Not only that, they supply added minerals which is ideal to keep the pH level at a good number.
- Too much can spoil the beauty – Though Macro algae are an ideal solution for the pH levels, too much of them in the fish tank can spoil the beauty.